SongbookDB Pal Installation
- SongbookDB Pal uses Adobe AIR as it's code runtime, and as such, AIR must be installed on your computer before you can install SongbookDB Pal. Get AIR here: http://get.adobe.com/air
- SongbookDB Pal works on any Windows 7, 8, or 10 computer that can run the latest version of Adobe AIR.
- Minimum screen resolution of 1024x768 for desktops, and 1280x700 for laptops.
- Installation and use of SongbookDB Pal requires an internet connection.
Download the installer from here:https://www.songbookdb.com/updater/songbookdb_pal.air
99% of installations go fine, but two errors that occasionally occur are:
"This application cannot be installed because this installer has been mis-configured..."
"The application could not be installed because the installer file is damaged. Try obtaining a new installer file from the application author."
Unfortunately, the error text Adobe uses is quite misleading - getting this error almost never means the file is actually damaged.
If you get the error, try the following known solutions which fixes 99% of cases (see below for the other 1%). Listed in order of effectiveness - first being most effective:
- make sure you have the latest Windows updates for your machine
- close any other Adobe apps that you have running (especially any Adobe updater software running in your system tray - this may require killing it via your Task Manager)
- check that your computer's system clock is correct. Correct the date and time if it not current.
- install the latest version of the Adobe AIR runtime (download from http://get.adobe.com/air)
- uninstall SongbookDB Pal (or whatever SongbookDB software won't install) if it is already installed, make sure the application folder for the app is deleted (for example, in c:\Program Files or c:\Program Files (x86)) - note: you may need to allow hidden files to be shown on your machine. Then try installing Pal manually from https://www.songbookdb.com/updater/songbookdb_pal.air, the PCDJ Requests Plugin from https://www.songbookdb.com/updater/SongbookDB_PCDJ_Requests_Plugin.air, or the MTU Hoster plugin from http://www.songbookdb.com/updater/SongbookDB_MTU_RequestsPlugin.air
- raise the level of your machine's User Account settings from "Never Notify" to "Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)", then try installing Pal. If this doesn't work, try raising it to the third level "Do not dim my desktop", and retry installation. If installation is successful, you can put your User Account Settings back to where they were, and only change them if you have a problem auto-installing future app updates.
- backup your .sbdb file if you have one (your song list file), then delete any folder with 'songbookdb' in the name or 'songbookdb' files in it that may be left over from the installation in C:\Users\you_computer_name\AppData\Roaming
- empty the Recycle Bin
- restart your computer
- try installing the app again
If the above steps fail (1% of cases), it may be that your machine has a damaged copy of Adobe AIR on it. Try to uninstall and reinstall AIR. If you are not able to uninstall AIR, the following steps have worked for some people (we recommend you research them so you fully understand them before proceeding, and that you understand you take these steps at your own risk):
- Open Control Panel
- Create a New User Account (Administrator)
- Login into the new user account
- Install Adobe Air
- Install Songbookdb Pal (run it)
- Log off and return to your original user account
- Delete the temporary user account
- Test to see if the Songbookdb Pal icon is on the desktop and that the program runs fine
Installing on more than one computer:
Install the program on the computer you intend to create an edit your song list on, and then also install it on any computer you wish to receive requests on.
NOTE: there is no need to copy your song list file (.sbdb file that is created when you start a new song list) to all your computers - just keep it on or copy it to any computer you wish to edit your song list on.